THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Relearning Vegetarianism and Finding the Perfect Avocado Sandwich

As you may know - or not - I've started my journey to become a vegetarian. Actually, this is the second time in my life that I am "going vegetarian," having been lured into carnivorism (yeah, I know that's not really a word, so what? If Lewis Carroll can make up words, then so can I, damn it. *Grin*) by my husband 5 years ago. But I digress. What I want to talk about is the sandwich that I've now eaten twice in 2 days because it's the "shizznay."

Entirely by accident, thanks to an avocado that was threatening over-ripeness, I've discovered what is now my favorite lunchtime meal. Let me preface this by saying that I'm an avocado fiend. Over the years, I've perfected guacamole to such a fine art that family and friends request me to make it for dinners. I frequently order avocado sandwiches at places like Atlanta Bread Company (which are usually annoying due to their tendency to fall apart, with the avocado sliding off the bread, which I've solved by using pita bread); and I've been known to just slice one in half, pour Italian dressing into the mix, and eat it by the spoonful until all gone.

So the other day, I was starving and didn't want to wait for anything to cook for lunch. Here's the recipe:

Avocado, Greens, and Balsamic Pita Sandwich

Ingredients:
1 Pita, cut in half and opened
1/2 Avocado, sliced
Handful of Salad Greens (I like the spring mix 'cause I adore arugula)
Cherry Tomatoes, a handful, sliced
1/4 Sweet Onion, sliced thinly
Splash of White Balsamic Vinegar

Directions:
1. Cut your pita and avocado in half. Gently open the pita. For the avocado, scoop out the meat with a spoon and then slice it up. To save the other half, leave the pit in that half, then cover tightly in plastic wrap and store in the fridge (it will keep overnight with minimal browning). You might want that 2nd half for this sandwich the next day because it's so yummalicious! (Oh, shut up already Merriam and Webster!)

2. Put your salad greens in the pita. Slice up the avocado and place in the pita, "smushing" the pita together afterward to distribute the avocado. Yum...

3. Strategically place your onions and tomatoes into the pita. I slip them in here and there, trying to get some toward the bottom, too.

4. Sprinkle the mix with white balsamic vinegar. I haven't tried red yet, as I don't have any on hand at the moment (I know, for shame!), but I bet it's good, too.

5. Eat. Devour. Relish.

Hmmm... Since I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian still, I'm thinking goat cheese might really punch this sandwich up, too. I'll definitely have to try that the next time I make this. I hope you all enjoy this as much as I do; if you're an avocado addict like I am, I'm pretty sure you will. Enjoy!

0 comments: